Renu's Week

Monday, October 28, 2019

Report of 28 Oct 2019

Good afternoon from rain-washed Chennai!

I tried sitting on our balcony and found it a bit too hot - though it has just rained - thus hastened back under our fan.  Scott is right opposite doing some genealogy stuffola.  He knows more about my family tree than I do.

There is something about Americans and genealogy, isn't there.  Some fascination with their roots, etc. 

We are well and celebrated Diwali yesterday.  I was sick with some sort of virus that caused leg weakness and fatigue.  I did manage to wash my hair and do the pooja and then gratefully dove onto the sofa and spent the rest of the day there.  By our choice, we know very few people in our apartment complex, thus no one came to visit, bearing sweets.  At our prior complex, our sons went in the morning, distributing sweets and neighbors came bearing them in reciprocation. 

The Banyan is fine.  I told you the merriment with Kovalam and we are to meet to discuss it.  Today, I had a phone call about a sick colleague there, a health care worker.  These young women come from villages around to work with us and I am grateful to them for taking on the arduous task of living with mentally ill folks; thus, to help them on the road to recovery is a privilege.  The young lady had a cold and fever, and I have prescribed some meds; we will follow up, if necessary, tomorrow.

The B is full of dedicated individuals: if they are not taking care of the patients, they are taking care of each other.  It is quite a nice state of being, to work there.

Adaikalam is also fine.   We have 2 patients with bed sores and the younger lady's sore is healing well.  Nutrition status counts for a lot.  The older lady has limited reserves and is not eating food reliably, thus her healing is slower.  Today, the staff posted a video of the younger lady walking.  It was nice.  The bed sores have come about after hospitalisation, and we are to do everything we can to ensure they do not enlarge.  This younger patient is also getting back to her original self; she used to yell "Madam," when I walked in and salute, this behavior is slowly returning as she starts to feel better.  I am delighted. 

We are privileged that we can give the patients the food they need to heal.  When we order a protein-rich diet or diabetic diet, it gets to the patients.  Thank goodness.  The dietitian at SMF Hospital also comes by periodically - at our request - and reviews our diets; her grace and help are most appreciated.  So much can be controlled or healed by diet alone. 

It rained much of this week.  One day, I thought I could not get to Adaikalam but the sky stayed grey and it did not rain, so Scott and I headed there.  After work, we went to see "Downton Abbey" and enjoyed it.  The previous day, I saw a Tamil movie called "Asuran" and was riveted by Dhanush's acting.  We ate at our favorite "Writer's Cafe," run by victims of burns, and enjoyed it.  We got some pastries to go from there, for Diwali.   

We bought some Diwali sweets and savouries made by the Banyan and enjoyed them.  We also managed to talk to both boys on the occasion, and that was lovely.  We asked that they wear something new on the day and eat something sweet, both characterising Diwali, and they obliged.  I spoke to my father on Diwali and that was also nice; he had worn the cotton shirt we had given him to his teaching session and the post-graduates had apparently admired it.  My father is a dapper man, and it is quite a treat to see him dressed up. 

Our wishes to all of you for Diwali.  May the festival of lights bring you good health, happiness and prosperity - however you define that last term.

Unw -

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home