Renu's Week

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Report of 20 March 2018

Hello from our living room!

It ain't a Sunday, I can't see the sea, but had to blog.

Life is fine.  I am supposed to head to the U.S. soon and am not quite ready yet.  The Banyan and private practice have been satisfying: appreciative patients can be so heady. 

I was driving to work today - a long drive - and spotted a red mass on the road.  It seemed like a mortally wounded animal, and I noticed someone on the shoulder of the road, seeming like a gypsy.  As I neared the red mass and passed another vehicle also circumventing it, I noticed that it was a sari, and that the person on the side of the road was standing there in a blouse and "underskirt," the accoutrements for a sari.  It seemed like the lady might have been mentally ill, I got to the B and asked for the rescuing social worker to take the team and rescue this patient.  Sometimes, by the time our team gets there, the patient's location has changed, etc.  Well, this time, they found her - halleluia.  By the time I left the B, they had returned with the patient and I was completely grateful.  The lady limps, and we will slowly find out what happened.  There are also burn marks on her neck and back.  We will find out about those, as well.  She does not speak a language I recognise, but that has never stopped us. 

So, my thought was - here is a lady, who must have been part of a family once, on the road in a strange town, unsure of her next meal or even her safety, mentally ill enough to start doffing clothes, and here is the Banyan, as always, ready and willing to give her whatever she needs to start rebuilding herself.  All for free.  I tell you, it is a powerfully wonderful organisation to work for. 

Private practice is also fine.  We have some young people hospitalised and I have explained their illnesses to them, leading to good interactions.  It is a privilege to be in this profession.

Scott and I attended the wedding reception of a school classmate's son.  Lakshmi, my former classmate, did not know we were coming and it was nice to surprise her.  We had a very good time at the event and drove straight to work the next day.  I do not like going late to our clinic at the seaside village, Kovalam, as the patients start assembling at 7.30 AM.  However, we were driving from 4 hours away and left at a safe 5 AM, reaching the clinic well after 9.  Nobody had budged: all the patients were in the waiting area, squeezed onto the benches there and happy as clams, chatting away until I got there, ate breakfast and then came down to my room.  They are a grateful and happy lot, the patients, and it is very nice to treat them. 

We spoke briefly to my father last week and will speak again this week.  He is a very busy man, which is good.

Naren turned 27 last week and we got to "Hangout" with both boys.  That was tremendously good fun.  Nice chatter and humor and candor.

Hope you have a good week!

Unw -

R   

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home