Renu's Week

Thursday, March 03, 2016

Report of 4 March 2016

Hello from Chennai!

The sea and sky are fairly merging today.  There is a haze, I think due to the heat.  It is already pretty darn toasty in Chennai; April and May are the summer months, but we are heading there quickly.  I have a root canal awaiting finish, thus cannot swim today and miss it, though the body woke up exhausted from many pokes and prods and what looked like singed rods placed in the tooth cavity awaiting final touches.  Both dentists were very good, and I am grateful.  I rather like eating, and would like to save my teeth if at all possible.

We were at young Deepika's wedding last Saturday - what fun!  There were lots of people to see and talk to, and the lawn event was very relaxed and nice.  What do people gain from not getting along with family, eh, though of course some self-preservation is mandatory - I like to blithely ignore perceived insults and plough on in the name of geniality.  My Dad flew to Chennai, we picked him up, drove to Vellore, picked up my sister and then on to Bangalore where we stayed near my sister-in-law's place.  The day after the wedding, my nephew, Sudhir, took all of us out to lunch at a nice place with delicious food; my niece, Sanjana, joined us as well, taking a break from her studies.  It was a nice gathering.  Afterwards, my Dad felt Sudhir's heartbeat to see if it could stand the shock of the bill :).

My father came with me to Kovalam on Monday and saw some patients.  They are unfailingly happy to get some second and third opinions, though they are flatteringly comfortable with my care.  It was nice for my Dad to be there - once a doctor, always a doctor.  Scott dropped him at the airport while I continued to see patients.  My aunt, Indira, also visited Kovalam that day to see her friend, who is a resident at the Banyan.  Both ladies appear to have enjoyed the visit and even toodled down the road to get fruit juice of uncertain hygiene; thankfully, neither is worse for wear.

One of our patients at Kovalam came with inability to conceive (a baby).  We are to treat her blood pressure and her thyroid condition, and then the hospital where she was initially seen will address her fertility issues.  She is to get a medication (alpha methyl dopa) which is safe for pregnant women and could not find it at many pharmacies; one pharmacy substituted something that starts with "alfa" and is a vitamin.  Hoo my; we emphasised the importance of the correct medication, I assured the patient we would work together to address her issues and off she went.  Not having children is a huge issue here, and in fact, at many places.  I know I feel fortunate to have Naren and Navin in our lives.

We saw a couple of movies this week.  We are likely the only 2 people on the planet who did not enjoy "The Revenant."  Yeesh - it must have been a slow year for movies that Leo won for this thing.  I could not understand much of the initial dialogue.  We also saw "Carol" and enjoyed the fine, fine performances of 2 actresses who made us completely believe they were an older sophisticate and a younger salesgirl, falling in love.  I'd intended to see a couple of movies today, then root canal intervened.

Hope you have some fine times of your own.

Unw -

R  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home