Renu's Week

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Report of 29 Nov 2015

Good evening -

Sick, sick, sick.  I think it is either dengue, or viral food poisoning.  Now I know exactly what patients feel like when they drag themselves in.  Often, after I give them IV fluids, they perk up nicely and state they feel better: at this point, the gratitude shown to me is boundless.  Very nice.  That is why I am in this profession, truly - for the occasional "Thank you."

I have whined away to Scott.  He is usually taciturn when ill, I am not.  Whine, complain, go off on tangents.

The Banyan has been good.  I have not had as much work as I usually do; I have often said to Scott that we must be the only profession that works to put ourselves out of business.  So, the B's personnel appear able to handle emergencies, thank goodness, or our census is lower, or all the mammoth preparations we do in prevention of illnesses is paying off.  Knock on wood.  As a result, I am bored witless.  I would like to practice hospitalist medicine here; many of you know the saga with getting permission to work here.

Last week, one of the housekeeping staff came to see me with a fever.  We ran several tests, I gave her acetaminophen/paracetamol and she is better.  I love to see recovery: the folks look like new clothing, fresh new personnel.  Another housekeeping staff member also said she was unwell, and that she was having terrible trouble breathing.  This is a huge deal.  I examined her from top to toe and found nothing.  There is always the worry that I am missing something and I told the admin personnel, who oversee the area of housekeeping; as it turns out, there is a possibility of this particular staff member malingering.  Phew.  I was relieved.  Then irritated.  I am glad she is okay, overall.

We are planning away for the Banyan's Family Day, and think we will have a good show this year.  We might have a merry-go-round and ice cream, as well, which we have the money for this year.  Hooray!  We always have plenty of candy, given out as prizes for games.  Both young and old enjoy the games - Guess the number of peanuts in the jar, Name the teddy bear (we then draw a name from the lot submitted), and such.  It is a fun activity for all, and I feel privileged that we can provide it.

We Skyped twice with our sons this weekend and ended up having an argument about their plans + lack of interest in the call.  At least one of them plans to live with a cousin or friends while auditioning for roles; I think a part-time job would be a fine plan.  As I stated to a friend and colleague, I am grateful that the boys mouth off; far better than drowning their sorrows and their mother's non-understanding in illicit substances.  The call did end on notes of affection and familial bonhomie, with plenty of "Love you"s.  

We saw "Secret in their eyes" earlier this week and attended a colleague's housewarming today.  The prayer at the latter event was very meaningful, and I was also glad to see other Banyan colleagues there, though I was taken to task for not wearing a sari :).

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home