Renu's Week

Friday, March 11, 2016

Report of 11 March 2016

Hello from our balcony!

It is 6.27 PM, there is still a modicum of daylight, and the sea is visible.  I love the sight of water, especially a sea or lake.

Life has been good.  I have received my permanent registration, or licence to practice medicine in India.  It took 12 years and I have it now.  I am extremely excited about being part of the medical world here.

The Banyan has been wonderful.  I was late getting to our seaside village clinic on Monday as I had to be at the Tamil Nadu Medical Council for a meeting to get my registration.  I had told our Kovalam-living staff to notify all their neighbors that I'd arrive late and to come in the afternoon.  So, the patients were notified and some came in the afternoon.  Many are reeling from arthritis and I have been trying desperately to get a physiotherapist (or physical therapist) to come and treat our patients; let us see what emerges.  Last week, one patient who complained of body aches was getting beaten by a family member, which also happens; at this point, our able community workers take over and counsel the whole family.  The community workers, who live in Kovalam, are remarkable young women who speak eloquently about how to manage various diseases, and this is wonderful.

Scott has a part-time job as a college professor and enjoys it.  The students at his college were on strike earlier in the week protesting the high fees paid to sit again for exams in the courses a student fails.  Violence is quite the name of the game of student protests here; however, Scott said the students told college personnel to take cover, that the students were not targeting the personnel, just the management.  Windows were broken, cars were damaged.  

Women's Day was celebrated with grand gusto at the B.  It is nice to be in the midst of strong women - both patients and staff.

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home