Renu's Week

Saturday, January 04, 2014

Report of 5 January 2014

Hello all!

A husband is wandering around defrosting meat and doing household-y things, 2 sons are asleep and the family is complete.  It's very nice.

We are well and hope the same with you.  We catch the boys in passing, as they fly out the door to play soccer or see their friends.  The reason for whisking them off to Sri Lanka was to be able to see them, away from distractions; the cell phone was still overactive, but we could see the whites of these boys' eyes.  And Sri Lanka, with its genteel and gentle people, was wonderful.

As we sat outside a restaurant in Colombo, drinking milkshakes and eating decadent pastry (we eat like pigs when on holiday), we noticed a man lie down outside.  The staff hastened out; the place was on the beach and a nice locale, thus someone passing out ostensibly could disrupt the scenery.  I walked out, offered my services and checked the old man out.  He had a hernia, he said, and he had not eaten all day as it hurt him to eat; as I got a quick, cursory history, I realized the man must be evaluated by a surgeon and suggested it.  He declined, the staff were nonplussed and then the man decided he must be on his way.  The manager of the restaurant asked me later if the man was faking and I said I did not think so.  Good health is a wonderful thing to have, is it not.  As I sit here in my 50's, realizing that rushing to the restroom is now de rigueur, I think of all the illnesses that could hit with old age (or middle age, as I now am in!) and find myself fortunate.

Scott and I went to the funeral of a neighbor's father.  Our sons don't like funerals and we did not force them to come, though they know this neighbor well and we consider her a friend.  She was holding up well, being strong for her mother, younger sister, husband and sons.  I marveled at her composure, and she wept as we hugged.  I remember when my mother died that I was grateful for old friends in Madurai coming to her memorial service. 

I have been off work this week, travelling and then returning to Chennai.  It has felt weird and I don't quite know what day and date it is.  The students who worked with us in December have left; the Banyan is richer for their having been here.  I spoke to my father on New Year's Day and wished him; he had had a good holiday in the Andamans with my sister and family, and I was pleased.

Sons, husband, food that we can afford, a shelter that does not leak - all fine blessings.  Hope you have many such blessings this year, as well as robust good health.

Unw -

R  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home