Renu's Week

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Report of 10 Dec 2013

Guess who missed my blog - the ol' husband.  What a hoot! 

We are well, and exhausted from some running around we are doing for a project.  We did manage to find time to go to Madurai and see my Dad, which was fun, and to Port Blair for a holiday, which was also lovely. 

A few months ago, one of our patients brought her daughter to see me, in chains.  Not the lovely necklaces we wear, but a giant restraint around her ankle.  I refused to see her until the mother removed the chain and the lady did not.  Last week, in came the mother and daughter to get her BP checked.  As my able colleague, Keerthana - young, beautiful and smart - checked the BP, I peered over my table at the young woman's ankle.  No chain!!!  I mentioned this and the mother sniffed: she said, "Because you refused to see her, I had to take her to another hospital and spend Rs. 2,000."  Like I cared.  I cared a ton for the young woman's dignity and her personal freedom, and it appeared that she had been given it.  Halleluia!

Adaikalam is fine.  Our patients are getting more violent.  It is attributed to nicotine withdrawal, and I hope nicotine replacement will help matters.  Daily, I treat staff who have been pounded on by patients and the element of fear is palpable.  Sigh. 

Scott and I attended the wedding of one of our senior health care workers.  Uma and family converted to Christianity, and she married a convert, as well.  We were privileged to go: Uma is a very good worker and colleague, and a lovely person.  The groom was handsome, and we thought they made a great couple.  Several other colleagues came, too, and a good time was had by all.  I was fortunate to meet the young daughter and niece of our other senior health care worker, Anjali; I love meeting families.

Our young sons are fine, and candid and loving as usual.  Communication is not always regular, but is present and that is enough for me: I cannot imagine not communicating with a family member, though I know that is the M.O. in some families.  Scott is sick today and my thoughts - even at work - were with him.  I am home now, and thought I'd blog.

Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy 2014 to all of you!

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home