Renu's Week

Sunday, June 03, 2012

Report 03 June 2012

Hello from the Carmel library!

Such bliss, this library. And free.

Work has been good. Our patients who are discharged sometimes return for outpatient therapy. The other day, one of them was leaving said outpatient appointment as I was, and we stopped to chat. She looked good, and was toodling along with a walker pretty well. I commended her, and said pretty soon she'd be dancing, and I did a (somewhat doofus-looking) dance move. She danced right along with me, and it was fabulous. The move, the spirit, the coordination - all of it. We laughed and hugged, and she got into her daughter's car and off she went.

"Don't give me people who want to dance, give me people who have to dance."

We have kept up with folks from home, and Naren emails fairly regularly. He now cooks, and enjoys it. Navin is with us, and our tiny 1-bedroom apartment might seem cramped to some, but I love it: there is no furniture barring a Taber table and chairs, thus plenty of space, and enough closets and cabinets for our clothes and pots and pans. The best part: no one knows what I do and the population is so much less dense here that Scott and I can go for a walk and encounter no one. Or maybe 1 person. In Chennai, I can walk out the door and run into 8 people in seconds. Yes, the people are usually smiling and happy, and it is a grand state of affairs, but for now, I am enjoying the wealth of personal space. We are also sleeping on the floor and loving it; last year, we had a furnished apartment and it seemed very tiny for 3 people. Not the case this year.

Yesterday, the men and I saw "Snow White and the Huntsman," which was excellent: Charlize Theron's wistful take on the evil queen was wonderful and well-enacted. And Chris Hemsworth - enough said. Then we went down to see the in-laws and cook them dinner, so easy here. Trader Joe's, a beloved store, provided lots of good, healthy and tasty groceries and a giant cheesecake (likely neither good nor healthy, but certainly tasty.) We had a splendid visit, and these are among my favorite people in the world, as previously stated. Lots of laughter, enjoyment of each other, intelligent chatter. We left energized and returned to watch the Spurs lose - rats.

Yesterday, "The Breakup song," by the Greg Kihn band, came on and I asked Navin to dance in our living room - which has historically happened often with the men. As he did what he called "The white boy shuffle," and then Scott obligingly came by to do dance duty, he told Navin, "Watch, your wife/girlfriend will make you dance." As Navin looked horrified, and said, "Never," Scott said, as he twirled me around, "Yeah, that's what I said long ago, too," and both the engineers looked at each other and tried to figure out what sort of woman could make them dance when they absolutely did not want to. It was nice.

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home