Renu's Week

Friday, October 22, 2010

Report of 22 Oct '10

Hello from the United States -

Brownies, Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream, bananas and granola for breakfast - all in the same bowl. Could anything be better? Actually, the sugar ended up becoming a bit much for me, and I had to brush my teeth again.

The week has been busy, but a nice busy. Last weekend was fun, with both boys being available. We saw a Tamil movie and enjoyed it; I like the fact that the boys are becoming much more comfortable with Tamil, and Naren particularly enjoys looking like a white guy in Chennai and spouting fluent Tamil. On Sunday we had a usual family breakfast with healthy stuff and sinful chocolate tarts from Winners Bakery, which trains underprivileged young people in the baking arts. We watched "Pulp Fiction" together, and parts of it were certainly not family fare, but the movie was good for a laugh nonetheless. Our sons shared details of their romantic lives, and this is a privilege for me, that we are trusted with such private information. The boys are indeed becoming men, and Scott and I are preparing for a life when the boys will be on their own, with their loved ones, running their own lives; it's a nice feeling. We visited beloved former neighbors, whose male head of the family died last year; the one year anniversary was observed, and we went to share some times with the family. They are lovely people, and it was Vijayadasami, a day of auspicious beginnings, so it was nice to get their blessings on this day - especially for our sons.

I left for the airport later that night, and had to look back many times - to see the 3 Weiss men standing there and urging me on. I did board, and slept - the seats next to me being empty. The next flight was a bit of a nightmare, unusual for Lufthansa: there was just one choice of meal and then the restrooms ran out of water, which was alarmingly unhygienic in my opinion. I was happy to disembark: the flight took off, stayed in the air and landed, which were the good things that could be said about it. And they are indeed good things. No grief at Houston Immigration, and then my beloved friend, Sharon Cole-Braxton, was waiting outside - beautiful, classy, warm, welcoming - easing all manner of homesickness and jet lag. Keith Braxton awaited us at home, and we shared details of family and life, and Sharon and I walked, and ate dinner. It was a lovely evening.

Sleep that night was heavenly, and then Sharon took me to get my rental car. I left for San Antonio, and landed at the home of Richard and Linda Luduena. It is a home away from home, and Sara Luduena met us for an awesome dinner at a restaurant. The Luduenas are hospitable, fun and funny people, and we laughed a lot over the meal. I worked out the following morning in the cool, non-humid San Antonio air (a change from Chennai), and then did laundry, etc. I got to Greg Freeman's office, where I saw a patient with him, and then he took me to lunch. Greg is a cardiologist of immense ability, and my former professor; as a peer, I have a healthy regard for him and Greg is always kind enough to allow me to accompany him on rounds. We saw an Arab patient, and Greg said he saw many of them; they escape religious persecution apparently, and are helped in the U.S. by many a Christian charity. This patient was my age, and profusely grateful for Greg's mere office visit. I looked at him, and wished him well, and thought to myself that it was very nice to live in a country where I am not persecuted for my religious views, such as they are - non-religious. I take completely for granted the freedom to shoot my mouth off at will, and do feel for those who live in countries that muzzle their citizens.

I saw "The Town" that afternoon and then went to the home of the Freemans, our former neighbors. Aurora and I are like sisters, and her daughters and my sons grew up together; thus, young Shaunessey Freeman's daughter, Vayda - an immensely adorable cutie - is my grand-niece. This is the first time I am seeing her, and she is such a delightful and unflappable baby that I had to hold her as often as others would let me. We had a grand meal, I saw other neighbors Gaby and Lamont and their daughter, Jasmine; this always soothes my soul. I went on to the home of Linda and David Johnson, where I am staying currently. Linda used to be my anatomy professor, mentor, guide, well-wisher, watcher-overer. When Manu passed away, Linda kept close tabs on my sanity and my world. Staying with them recharges my spirit and much else, and I am having a therapeutic visit. I spoke yesterday at school to the American Medical Women's Association, and it was nice to chat with the ladies afterwards. We (Linda; Kozue Shibazaki, the immensely capable counsellor and all-around good person at school, who also kept tabs on my sanity; a former classmate named Katharina Hathaway, who is doing yeoman work with the marginalised in Austin, TX; and I) will be at a "Conversation with Women Alumni" today.

I'd better wind up and get moving. Hope all of you are having fine times yourselves.

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home