Renu's Week

Sunday, October 05, 2008

Report of 6 Oct '08

Hello from the Banyan -

We are well, and hope the same with you.

The lady picked up from near our flat (apartment) has been admitted in the Government institution (Institute of Mental Health - IMH). We (at the Banyan) are bursting at the seams, and can't really admit new people, but closely follow the IMH patients whom we admit there.

A colleague, Mr. S, asked me to investigate his sister's condition at the Cancer Institute. She has been admitted with cervical cancer, which in itself is tragic because Pap smears are not routine here, and such consequences are seen. There seems to be also some lack of communication between doctor and patient/relatives (the relatives cannot be present when the doctor is, due to their work schedules), so no one had any idea of the prognosis. Scott and I went to the Cancer Institute, and while Scott ran another errand, I talked to the doctor in charge of the patient, Ms. M. The prognosis was good, and I was happy to report back to Mr. S. The family is poor, Ms. M's husband is a drunkard, they have 4 kids and were ready for some encouraging news. 4 kids?! I crusade against having any more than 2 - especially for people who cannot afford more than that number. I am happy there is a place like the Cancer Institute: they do great work.

One of the patients at the B, Ms. C, had been hospitalised with a leg fracture. Most of our patients are osteoporotic (brittle-boned), and a little fall has big consequences. Ms. C is better now, and sits outside, gossiping with all. A few months ago, she had asked to see my sons, and I'd taken them; she exhorted them to study well and behave themselves, which generally sounds better coming from anyone other than their parents. Ms. C calls out to me when I pass the stoop where she sits at the B, and I stop to chat. The other day, she said to me that I must be aged 51 or 52; I laughed and laughed (I am 45), because candor is so welcome. Too often, people gush fallaciously and state we look young, blah blah, and here Ms. C pinned my age at what she thought, regardless of whether it appeared non-flattering or not.

We attended an exhibit of photos of visually-challenged people; I was very keen that the boys see it. It was excellent, and I got teary at several points, including when the photographer came over to chat. I could not speak for several minutes, and the 3 Weiss men weren't going to say a thing while I was blubbering, and it struck me that I really do talk a lot, don't I - these characters were going to wait for me to regain my composure and continue the chatter, *instead of bailing me out with some talk of their own*. But all enjoyed the exhibit and we went home rejuvenated. Naren is off on a school trip and Navin has been grounded due to poor grades, so life goes on, as usual. Last weekend, I attended the annual conference of Sundaram Medical Foundation Hospital, and it was excellent, as always - lovely to have Continuing Medical Education, especially when it's well-organised and nicely run. Yesterday was the Banyan's 15th anniversary celebration, and several of us got gifts for our service and commitment, which was kind, I thought. No greater commitment than that of Vandana and Vaishnavi.

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home