Renu's Week

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Report of 3 June '07

Hello from the world of heat and humidity -

Naren starts school tomorrow, and Navin on the 6th. I head to the U.S. on the 11th.

We are well. We made a quick dash to Madurai last week to see my parents. All trains to the city were running chock full, a consequence of overpopulation and summer vacation. So we drove, and that's where the dash was not quick - 275 miles in 8 hours. The roads are not great, and we had to negotiate tough traffic. But it was lovely to see my folks, and revel in their classiness and senses of humor.

The 3 Weiss men got mightily on my nerves last week, esp during the trip as they expected me to do everything - take care of the food, gifts, calling ahead, ensuring that we left on time, filling up the car, etc., etc. I took over the driving merrily, but resented the amount of work I had to do this vacation - I think especially as we were seeing my parents, whom I'd liked to have spent a little more time with rather than getting everybody up and moving, etc. When we reached Chennai, the umpteenth argument was pulled by one of the boys and I threw up my hands, said how much I was looking forward to my trip to the U.S. and working there, used vats of profanity, and went to bed. Everything was markedly better this morning. My brother came to spend the morning with us, and the easy banter and teasing also helped my mood. His marriage is hitting some rough spots and I've elected not to get involved, except to sit and listen, which seemed to cause some loquaciousness in the man.

Naren got his ear pierced by my Dad. There's a earring in it now, and looks ok.

Our maid's daughter was evaluated by a physician for her asthma and she was told she'd have to spend 2 or 3 thousand bucks for a full eval, otherwise she'd lose the child. So she was distraught, of course. I examined the child, and all wheezing had subsided, and the entire exam was wonderfully normal. The mother was most reassured to hear this, and I was struck by the modus operandi of some doctors here, who'd put the fear of dire consequences on the patient unless a lot of money was spent on the care. Thank goodness I trained elsewhere, where they taught us to resist pulling such stunts.

I truly am looking forward to my time in the U.S., working there and making some money. I also relish the opp to sit in on lectures and grand rounds, eating salad and cashews, and seeing movies that are not sold out for days.

"What do I look for in a good script? Days off." - Robert Mitchum

"Popcorn is the last area of movie business where good taste is still a concern." - Mike Barfield

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home