Renu's Week

Sunday, May 15, 2005

Report of 15 May '05

Hello from mini-paradise, the Carmel public library -

We are well and enjoying our time here. The boys have been putting on weight and enjoying the junk food - 'tis the age and the palate.

Work is good. I tend to get quite a few extra patients, esp late additions; the other day, one of the other docs was missing in action, his nurse was befuddled and his patient was irate. She had to leave and needed a quick exam and I agreed to do it to minimise inconvenience to her. The workload is ok, really, and I am getting paid to see pts, not sit around, so I don't mind. A memorable patient this week was a recently released ex-con who had a funny perspective on life and we had lots of chuckles. Then he told me he used cocaine on the weekends (social snorting?), at which point I told him graphically and in some detail what cocaine could do to his heart and brain. He said, "For real?" when I finished, I assured him it was, and he told me he simply had not known any of it, that he *could* stop the drug use. I noticed him picking up a lot of literature from our patient education desk when he was done and he has since called the clinic once or twice. An educated patient is our best resource.

I had a young physician assistant (PA) student rotate w/ me on Friday and she was fun to work with. One of our patients had complained of belly pain, nausea and a sensation like she was pregnant; I requested her fiance (a young man dressed in baggy shorts, t-shirt and high tops) to step out w/ their daughter and asked the pt a frank set of questions about the possibility of said pregnancy or a sexually transmitted disease. She quickly denied the former and said she was gay, at which I said, "Wait - isn't that your fiance?" She said, "Yes, it's a girl." I picked the PA student's jaw off the floor, continued w/ the exam, discovered the young lady had a stomach virus and sent them on their way. The PA student said later that I had to have seen that coming, because I rolled right on w/ the interview; I assured her I had not, but that when I got the white coat on, I heard fairly personal details of my patients' lives. This is a great privilege to me, that my profession affords me the wherewithal to draw such candor.

My schedule this month is working 3 days a week, b'cos I have my sons w/ me and wanted to spend some time w/ them. (In June and July, I will be full-time.) On my days off this week, the boys and I went to lunch at some of their favorite restaurants and saw, "The hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy." We also had dinner w/ dear friends from Special Olympics days, Mary and Sam Remster. Sam is followed by a cardiologist at St. V and has voluntarily shed quite a few pounds by staying clear of rice, flour, potatoes and sugar. Mary generated laughs by announcing her Sunday b'fast of donuts. We had a wonderful meal of raw veges, pizza (Sam didn't have this part) and fruit, and then the hosts produced giant bars of chocolate for the boys. We are grateful the Remsters made time for us in their busy schedules, esp as Mary works full-time, and I am particularly happy that the boys enjoy our friends (some of whom they are meeting for the first time, like the Remsters) as much as we do.

We spent the weekend in Dayton at the home of the Premanandans, who took excellent care of me when I was a homesick teenager at the Univ of Dayton 22 years ago. Premila is a great cook, and I remember being warmed by her meals as I wilted from homesickness. Mary, their daughter, is in nursing school and made a lovely addition to our time in Dayton by her consideration, gentle demeanor and special care of the boys. Their friends, the Islams, also had me over several times when I was at UD. This weekend, Sylvia Islam and their friends, the Kitcheners, aggressively got several of their friends together over dinner, I spoke of my work and a large amount of money was raised for it. Sylvia's drive and compassion will never be forgotten - she even turned her sons upside down until $ fell from their pockets - and the evening was fun, fun. Most importantly, I got to meet several people who are like-minded, have senses of humor that I value and whom I will stay in touch with for a long time. That was a treat for me.

Today in Dayton, we got to visit the Ruizes, who are great family friends of my in-laws. Mr. Ruiz gave me away at my American wedding, and Mrs. Ruiz routinely plies us w/ food when we get there. Mrs. Ruiz took us to the cemetery where Scott's Dad is buried as I wanted to pay my respects, and wanted to ensure our sons did, too. The boys remember the Ruizes from their making trips up to Indy for the boys' b'days, and all of us had a wonderful time. The Ruizes had just returned from Kuwait where their daughter and son-in-law, a Palestinian man, live w/ their family; they said they were treated very well and loved being there, that they left w/ a good impression of their daughter's in-laws and that the bonhomie was mutual. As an in-law told them, "I didn't like Americans until I met you." What great ambassadors.

We attended the art show and reception of Sofiya Inger, our former neighbor in Carmel - it's on at the Jewish Community Center on Hoover, for those in Indy who might like to go. Sofiya (Sonia to us) just quit her job, will concentrate on her art and we are richer for it - her artwork is lovely and there was one still life piece I particularly admired. Where would we be w/o artists, musicians, dancers and actors, who add so very much to our lives by their talents.

The home of the Tabers continues to be one where I have great peace of mind and a comfortable bed. The conversation is stimulating, the food fabulous, the company serene. We do as we want there, and I remain impressed that my poor hosts can deal w/ houseguests for this length of time.

We like Mapquest - it helped us get around very easily. We are tremendously fortunate in our friends, and this is reinforced to me repeatedly.

Have a great week -

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home