Renu's Week

Sunday, April 10, 2005

Report of 10 Apr '05

Hello from sunny Chennai -

We board the plane for the U.S. in about 10 hours, and leave for the airport in 6.5. I look forward to seeing many of you again, that is established; however, an element of nervousness pervades this trip. I will be speaking of this work in a few places, and am nervous about that. Added to that is the certainty that political correctness has flown out the window, and I really have to watch it when I am there.

The Banyan is fine. The young lady, P, who went as nanny to Star Actress (our equivalent of Catherine Zeta-Jones) is back. She did not like it there, felt nervous and uneasy, and came back as close to a wreck as I have seen her. A similar event was quite well-described in "The Shawshank Redemption," where a prisoner is released from the only surroundings he's ever been comfortable in and has a very difficult time adjusting to freedom and a strange world outside jail. P hung around us (health care workers) all day Thursday, and appeared to get a lot of comfort just from that.

I did not go to UK this week, preferring to use that time to gather all that we need to take w/ us, and oversee the boys' packing. They will also speak of the work they do here and I need to ensure they do not look like tramps. The time off was pretty therapeutic, and I felt no qualms about taking it. Tutoring also wound up last week. This week was spent attending the boys' end-of-term concerts - Indian music for Navin, and an English play for Naren. We enjoyed these, and Scott made it a point to attend them also, as he always does.

A young girl, aged 14, who had attended our kíds' carnival for the underprivileged committed suicide by hanging last week. Reason unknown, but irrelevant to me - I could only think of the profound morass of depression she must have been in.

The week was beset by the usual No's and that is par for the course. I look forward to the conference and seeing good friends and family while in the U.S. The chance to buff up my medical knowledge is priceless and an avowed goal.

"Psychiatry enables us to correct our faults by confessing our parents' shortcomings." - Laurence J. Peter

Until next week -

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home