Renu's Week

Sunday, May 08, 2005

Report of 8 May '05

Hello from the public library in Carmel, IN - which I love:

Happy Mother's Day, all you wonderful Mothers!!

Things are playing out as they are intended, I guess. I have a short-term job (a locum) at a clinic in downtown Indianapolis. We take care of the very poor, Medicaid and Medicare pts. The clinic is well-maintained, clean and pleasant, and the surroundings are very well-kept. One of the Family Practice residents at St. Vincent, Indy, where I trained, will join the clinic in Aug and she knew of this temp vacancy which came about b'cos the clinic's internist quit, and told me; I appreciate that. I enjoy this job immensely, and find that getting paid for what I do is a novel, uplifting experience.

The people in charge of the clinic are nice, and when I met the CEO, I liked her right away. She asked how much I wanted to be paid, and I asked how much they paid, and she said, "Slick!" I apologised, said that I had no clue about hourly rates there and then told the truth that what I earn here would have to help sustain the work in India as there ain't no funding coming. I mentioned to several people here that at the end of my requests for funding, I have started to say, "If your answer to this is a No, pls send it in about 2 days' time as there are only so many No's my spirit can take in a day." I have started to stagger out my No's; some folks found this very funny, and I suppose it is, but to me it's a survival mechanism.

My first pt was a lady w/ a chronic back problem and an anxiety disorder. I treated the back pain, mentioning alternatives like physical therapy in addition to powerful narcotic meds, and suggested that she also speak to a psychiatrist about her anxiety instead of getting dependent on a med like Xanax. She was willing. I had thought I'd completely forget Western medicine, working overseas, but found that the memory comes back: 4 years of school + 3 years of training help drill some things in. I also find that my perspective is altered by where I have been working: I am not quick to prescribe a pill or pursue expensive tests, I'd rather try phys therapy or enlist a psychiatrist to help w/ issues that I could use help with.

I like being here. My little Accord is a dream, previously owned and well-kept by Pablo Rabosto, a fellow St. V resident, and now well-maintained by Jim and Brenda Hillman. I drove it down to SE Indiana on Friday and spent a very therapeutic Mother's Day weekend w/ my in-laws at their farm; it was marvellous being there. We ate, talked, then ate and talked some more. The weather was gorgeous, after being cold and drippy last week, and we enjoyed every minute of our days there. My sons had spent 2 weeks w/ their grandmother, grandaunt and -uncle, and had revelled in it: they had learnt the art of farm chores, built up farm appetites and had totally enjoyed their relatives. Their experience w/ non-stop chocolate was initiated by Linda and Dave Johnson in San Antonio, who so indulge the boys (and their parents, actually) and this time, thought to do so by unleashing them in a grocery store w/ some money in hand. The sugar content in the boys' purchases could exceed the GNP of Cuba and that was as it should be. It was a memory worth having and a very novel treat. The goodies-and-TV continued at the relatives' and I did not stand in the way of it as chocolate is very expensive in India and our TV does not work very well there, thus felt the boys could make hay while the sun shone. Scott's sister and cousin joined us w/ their kids, and while all the younger cousins romped, all the parents could get caught up w/ each other's lives and remember what it is we like about each other. It was a spectacular weekend, made more so by all the laughter.

To be able to walk in uncrowded settings here is a treat, as is the radio in my Accord which is tuned to a variety station and plays dance music occasionally. As I got out at lunchtime at my JOB (!!!) the other day, Loverboy's "Turn me loose" started playing and I got back in the car. Had pts known this was their doctor bobbing around in the car to dance music, they might have reconsidered their choice of care provider, but I am yet anonymous there and could capitalise on it.

You know what is difficult to take here? The great emphasis on sex. I caught the ad for a TV show the other day and it featured a woman being proposed to by 2 men, whereupon she turns around and yells, "Hey, doesn't anyone want to just sleep w/ me?" She does get some takers and it might have been funny to some; however, after watching some of the apparel around and the blatant emphasis on trying to attract the opposite gender, I find that I can't quite agree w/ those priorities here.

Let me wind up. We will be in Indy the next few weeks and are enjoying the camaraderie of our hosts, the Tabers. I have also been most appreciative of little kindnesses along the way, such as at airline counters, banks, restaurants, and have filled out compliment cards at every locale. It is lovely to be helped, and to have good service.

Enjoy your day and week. I sure will enjoy mine!!

Fond regards,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home