Renu's Week

Sunday, May 23, 2021

Report of 24 May 2021

 Good morning!

Our washing machine is whirring, a handsome husband is on the sofa reading today's paper, some millets (a hardy, hearty grain) are cooking on the stove and we are back.  

We arrived less than 3 weeks ago, I started working with the COVID helpline organised by the Very Visionary Vaishnavi 3 days after arrival and it has been nonstop.  The crew is Vintage Volunteer, used to focusing on pressing causes with no thought for remuneration, and has a solid track record.  Vaish (with Vandana) founded the B 28 years ago, has since achieved wonders with the Disability Rights Alliance - in a country where disabled are invisible and thought not to exist - and has likely done much, much more than I am aware of.  The crew assisting on the helpline is from around the world - all committed, all diligent, articulate, communicative, keenly aware of the mission.  Most communication is through text, and is unfailingly succinct and professional.  This is a joy!  Sometimes, I veer off into a personal few words - which I am trying to rein in - and they are tolerated.  

The group is called "Chennai Cares," and we were focusing on Chennai, but now have calls from around the state.  According to other writeups in the paper, there are groups such as ours in many other states.  A 16 year old in another state said something to the effect of, "If the Government denies us basic health care, we have to step up."  I love the zeal that tough situations create in the young.  

My father tested positive for COVID last week and I got the phone call from the family that helps care for him.  After that, I had to triage a call here at work and nothing moved for me, even speech - no cognition, clear thinking, reasoning, basic gathering of info - nothing.  As much as I think we can prepare ourselves for such news, we truly cannot.  I told my work crew that I had a medical emergency and had to step away.  Our vehicle had not had the servicing necessary to keep it running and the lockdown had closed workshops, too, so we had no wheels.  We booked by air and flew to Madurai.  I love the Madurai flight - folks are dressed in their best, everything is festive and excited, no one is jaded by flying; it's like a school "excursion" and I fully expect someone to pass out tamarind rice packets.  Anyway, we got to Madurai, got a cab and headed home.  My father was seated at the dining table, waiting for us.  The help had made a spectacular lunch, we ate, assessed my father and then rested.  More of the same in the evening, except a quick run to the medical shop to get some extra supplies - 1 corner of the shop also has groceries.  We returned home and repeated the routine the next day.  On day 3, we invested in a pulse oximeter and saw that my Dad's oxygenation was good - thanks, God.  Towards the end of day 3, a more stringent lockdown was announced and we mulled over returning to Chennai; we discussed it with my Dad and he approved, so we booked tickets to travel to Chennai.  My father has had the full vaccination, thus his infection is a "breakthrough infection."  Thankfully, symptoms are usually mild and it was the same with my Dad.  Ideally, we would have preferred his isolation, etc., but logistical challenges existed.  

We managed to talk to both children on a video call from Madurai.  All parties - grandparent, parents, children - were happy to see each other and my Dad chuckled at a few things the children said.  His entire demeanor perked up while talking to them; I guess this is the joy of grandkids, eh.  

A beloved former colleague now runs a taxi service and he picked us up at Chennai airport.  Being with Velan is like salve; his speech is measured and matter of fact and warm.  His goodwill is apparent.  We stopped at a couple of grocery stores en route - some had been wiped clean, but our local little grocer had lots of veges.  We bought, and headed home.  We invited Velan in for a cup of tea but he declined; he said, "If your children have any program, I can help."  I told him neither child looked close to marrying, and thanked him.  Scott handed over the couple of things we had bought for Velan at the store; it was nice to see the expression of surprise on Velan's face.  It was a delightful way to get home.  

Chennai was overcast and Scott and I capitalised on it (otherwise, the heat is stupefying) to walk to the store next door - almost next door.  It is a "supermarket" and they had all sorts of goodies: produce, toned milk (does not have to be refrigerated until opened), nice cheese and exemplary service.  We let the manager know of our joy and left with our bags of merchandise.  We stopped for a tender coconut.  The seller said, "Wow, it's been so long since I have seen you!," and in the course of conversation, "Have you been to Madurai recently?"  So, she did remember us, it was not a fake attempt at geniality and we enjoyed the chat.  The last time I saw her, there was a bouncing baby boy crawling around the shop; I said, "How is your son?" and she said, "He is in the third standard (grade)."  After my being recovered from that news, we chatted, and had coconut.  She cut 3 for the 2 of us as I was after the harder variety of coconut, not the tender, slippery kind.  She charged us for 2, we paid a little extra and left.  It was nice to walk everywhere.  

We got home to find that the lady who helps take care of the house had arrived with her daughter and they were busy cleaning.  I thought this extraordinarily considerate: a lockdown was to arrive on 24 May, and the ladies came speedily over on 23 May and cleaned our house.  We had not told them of our return from Madurai, and had not expected to see them for a few days.  It was a treat to see both - they are fine, good and loving people - and we had a nice evening.  We gave them some treats ("foreign chocolate" - always a novelty) and some money that our children had sent for them, and I know for a fact that blessings from this family will go to mine.  

I am back at work this morning.  My friend, Fanny, had graciously passed on some clothes to me and I am in a thin cotton dress from that gift; it has stick figures of women frolicking and dancing, and I love it.  The dress stops well above my knees and I would not wear it outside the house here.  It is lightweight and well-made, and suits the climate here.  We are triaging calls and reassuring anxious relatives.  It is nice work.  I have also eaten a cold Imam Pasand mango and that always helps the morning.  

We talked to Naren this morning and talked to Nat last week.  It is nice to talk to children.  

Our blessings are many, many.  We hope yours are, too.  Thank you, God.  

Unw -

R

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home