Renu's Week

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Report of 16 January 2008

Hello from the B -

Hope all are well. We are fine and have just returned from a 4-day weekend. Pongal, the harvest festival celebrated with sugarcane, sweet rice and some days off school/work, just finished. Navin went to Yercaud on a school trip, and did some rock climbing and rappelling (spelling?). Naren went to visit his cousin in Bangalore, and a friend went along. This friend is the only one from Abacus, their old school, at Sankara, the new school, and he hates it. Blames his mother for this choice, does not study, is determined to not study engineering (his original goal), etc. So I thought a trip together would do both Naren and young A good. We haven't got the details yet, but both appear to have had a wonderful time.

Scott and I had 4 days of no children, and it was fun. We ate out, went to the beach, saw some movies, generally chilled out. It was mighty therapeutic. We went to Chennai's Street Folk Arts festival, called "Chennai Sangamam," and loved it. There are so many vibrant folk arts in India that are little-known. We also saw Washington, D.C.'s Dana Tai Soon Burgess dance company perform here; the dances were ethereal and lovely. Has anyone heard of this dance company?

The B is fine. Last week, we had a patient who got somewhat unresponsive and puffy; she'd had diarrhea, but I didn't think that ought to alter her mental status. I asked the staff to put in a catheter to drain her urine and the change was practically instantaneous: the patient responded to our questions clearly and appropriately. Scott often feels that the lack of communication from many patients actually helps me hone my examination skills. I wonder, but do know it's a great feeling to help a non-verbal patient feel better. Just that (a recovered patient) is gratitude enough. Several young people have been named for my father the surgeon, and that's a manifestation of gratitude, surely. However, what I get - a well woman - is enough for me. My father and I have had blazing arguments about this, as it unsettles him to come to the B; methinks he's used to the world of the private practitioner.

A team of students from the staggeringly prestigious Indian Institute of Management came to the B as part of a mandatory course on Corporate Social Responsibility, ostensibly introduced into the curriculum early so that the students and future young managers would retain, or develop, a portion of their "care-for-the-less-fortunate" nature as they wander into the realm of mucho bucks. It's always a great privilege for me to talk to young people, and bright young 'uns are a special treat. I enjoyed the interaction tremendously. 3 of us were individually filmed chatting with the students on a range of issues, and I saw the film today. I look like Dobby (an elf in Harry Potter stories) - all eyes and goofy, dramatic mannerisms.

So the struggle to raise funds for the B continues. We were extremely privileged to get generous donations from Garrett Matsunaga, Ron Schildge, Kris Rea and Sharon Cole-Braxton. Scott Semester informs that there are a few more checks coming, and we are grateful for all your support.

Let me wind up. Hope all of you are well.

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home