Renu's Week

Monday, February 12, 2007

Report of 12 Feb '07

Hello folks -

There's something up on the blog site, moving all our accounts to Google. It's painfully slow and, to quote my husband, I have the patience of a boiling tea kettle, so I am going to resort to email today.

My uncle with stomach cancer died last week, less than 2 months after being diagnosed. Many of us from Tamil Nadu could not get to Karnataka for the funeral, because there was agitation in the latter state: a Central Government tribunal had decreed that the water of the Kavery river had to be shared w/ TN, giving us the larger share (prompting some gloating, let me tell you) and Karnataka was furious. So there were riots and disruption of inter-state and intra-state traffic. My cousin Dhanu had sort of asked if I could get to the funeral, which was new to me as I am not used to my presence being wanted, and I simply could not do so safely. So my sibs and I are going this week for the 9th-day pooja, called the "Madha" - I've never been to one, and hear it is more of a celebration of the deceased person's life, like an Irish wake. Scott had seen my kind uncle Thammappa last week, as he was in B'lore, and had taken them a heap of take-out food, which all enjoyed; Scott told me that my uncle had asked about all of us, in the midst of his tremendous agony, and I wept on hearing this. That was my uncle for you, epitome of consideration and affection, and known most of all for standing up to all of Coorg and welcoming my dark-skinned, non-Coorg father into his home.

The B had its share of illnesses w/ one of my favorite pts, Ms. E, suddenly undergoing a change in mental status. We have to tread carefully when this happens, because it could be their psychiatric illness doing it, or the meds, or moodswings, or a physical illness. The health care worker had pointed it out to me and I asked for a Cat scan of Ms. E's brain. Lo and behold, neurocysticercosis - a parasite from undercooked pork. Ms. E used to always greet me cheerfully, with a "Have you eaten?" in Telugu, which I greatly appreciated as she diligently ignored her destitute status and focused on someone else (moving me greatly), and I'd heard none of this for a couple of days. Thank goodness for our astute health care workers. Ms. E is now undergoing some anti-parasite treatment and I have asked for a second opinion.

Tutoring went well and we were a bit short-handed. I tutored a little girl in multiplication, and Kris Rea's beads came in really handy; tiny hands counted out the beads into sets, the concept of groups of numbers entered, and a fun time was had by all. When it came time to draw and paint, the kids did very well and appeared to enjoy it. The session ended w/ candy for all, of course, and gifts of paint boxes to the kids donated by the Cassidy family's daughters' school in Brecksville, Ohio.

I'd better wind up before my computer times out. Best to all of you. Enjoy Valentine's Day and always remember to appreciate those you love.

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home