Renu's Week

Monday, January 01, 2007

Report of 2 Jan '07

Happy 2007!

Hope the year is happy and healthy for all of you. The concept of wishing someone good health is high in my book, more so as I age. When I pack for a trip, the Ibuprofen must also go along.

There were tons of blessings last year. Even the teenager mouthing off daily was not a curse: adolescence is probably as trying on him w/ the world's stupidest parents in the house, and worse, having sired him. The 3 Weiss men and I took turns over dinner last night talking about what had made us happy last year, and what we hope for this year; it's a big treat to hear everyone's thoughts. We are happy that Scott is based in Chennai for the time being. I particularly appreciate it as we try to divide and conquer teenage hormones; whoever said teenage boys don't have pubertal mood swings never raised a teenage boy.

The B has embarked into a resident-run cafe and massages by the residents. I had a massage the other day (head, hand and foot; the concept of full-body massage is still a tad reserved for the elite here) and it was excellent. It was nice to help a Banyan resident earn a living. We have a patient whose relatives are extremely well-off, some of whom have settled in the U.S. We received a cursory enquiry from a sister in Florida, and Vandana asked who would reply; after some discussion, I showed Vandana my draft of a letter where we collectively urged the sister to enlighten herself (from our web site among other sources) about mental illness, its treatability and the effects that family support has on one reeling from it. We sent it off and the sister replied, assuring us she would donate to the B - missing the point fairly completely.

Our lawyer resident, Ms. U, has started going to court and assisting in cases. Magnificent! Her mentor lawyer, who had been taking advantage of Ms. U, continued to do so and the B stepped in and severed relations w/ this woman. We are fairly protective of our own: we do want them to succeed and want to ensure that all those who would exploit them stop it forthwith, bringing to bear the powerful resources of our organisation. Sometimes, as I sigh over a non-verbal patient who can't tell me where her belly hurts or answer any of the other questions that would clue me in right away to the cause of her pain, I think that if we can rehabilitate one woman and make her productive, that makes the night's sleep well-earned. Who would take care of these folks if we did not? The street?

We wound up tutoring for the year w/ a party, Doug's umbrellas and crayons donated by many of you as gifts. We also passed out goody bags full of junk food - chips, chocolate, candy and cashews (very expensive). Our students can ill-afford this stuff, and I sanctioned the junk, knowing full well it would bring lots of joy. 3 of our students are Christian, and I asked how they'd celebrate Xmas; they said they got new clothes and went to church. One said she had a part of a Nativity set which they displayed at home. I asked if special goodies ("palagaaram") were made at home and they said No. No one can afford that part. I was saddened momentarily, but the spirit of *their* Xmas prevailed: new clothes and church were more than enough for these kids, by the looks of it, and I was grateful for their simplicity and rejoicing in small things.

The veg market is going through some changes which were occupying the vendors, so our rounds through there were quick. We were happy to get together for lunch w/ our friends, Meenakshi and Mitch, and their kids Maya and Evan. It is great fun to eat and talk and laugh w/ kindred spirits (somewhat more so when their situation is the same as ours - woman Indian, man American, raising 2 kids, comparing and contrasting life here and there), and we had a whale of a time. M&M's senses of humor make their company a special treat.

I will take unpaid leave from my job in Feb and March as Naren has study holidays and then giant exams. Much though Naren and Navin do the typical teen actions such as backtalk and fight daily, exam time for 10th and 12th graders in this country is a colossal event and many parents take leave from their jobs for tutoring and other prep (let's not forget food for teenage males). While we were tempted to let Naren face the consequences of his actions of not studying, better sense prevailed and we sit w/ him while he studies. Scott is a very patient tutor and looks over and corrects Naren's work, I read my journals which I enjoy. As all decided, no one wants to have me tutor anyone; my lack of patience w/ those that came from my uterus is legendary.

"Teenagers express a burning desire to be different by dressing exactly alike." - Unknown

Unw -

Renu

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home