Renu's Week

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Report of 31 July '05

Hello from the lib one last time this year (I think) -

I climb on the plane on 31st and quite look forward to going home. More so today, where there's no work and some last-minute details to take care of. I did not give it much thought during my tenure at Citizens Health Center as work kept me busy, occupied and happy, and all the friends and my surrogate family nicely filled my mind.

This week was frenetic at work. The other 2 docs who see adults were away at a conf and every patient needing to be seen was on my schedule. I kept up, and was promised relief after admin saw me reeling on Monday, but the bus was missed somewhere and the relentless pace continued w/ spurts of relief to allow me to get to noon conference at St. V - which I appreciated. Finally, I spoke up on Friday and had 7 people removed from my schedule thanks to the CEO and nurse manager. So yesterday left me some time to say my farewells and make some phone calls.

The patients this week were a motley assortment. A memorable one was a 65 yo lady who came in w/ disabling hip pain and admitted not taking her blood pressure meds; 2 of her daughters were w/ her. As I asked her questions, one of her daughters kept answering for her. This is not very productive, as the doctor needs to assess the patient, not her healthy relative, and I told the daughter, Cathy, that I'd get to her story after the pt finished hers. That achieved little, as Cathy continued to interrupt. Finally, I requested her to step out; when she looked thunderstruck and asked why, I said, "Because I requested it," and she flounced out, throwing a tantrum en route and outside my exam room, asking to speak to anyone who'd listen. The folks at Citizens ostensibly backed me up, b'cos I continued the exam w/o interruption by Cathy (save the one time she came in and announced to her mother that they wouldn't be following up w/ this doctor, perhaps this clinic but not this doctor - not realizing exactly how accurate she'd be as it was close to my last day there :) ) who chose to send her daughter in periodically to find out if we were done. At this juncture, the quieter sister, Carmen, unloaded on sibling rivalry (oh, it was abundant) and maternal favoritism - that, too, was counterproductive and I requested that they deal w/ family bonhomie elsewhere and sent the entire happy family to the emergency room.

The clinic at the project was fine and we saw several patients, including one who came in for a physical exam and complained of occasional back pain. She attributed it to her large breasts and I fully believed her; I suggested that when she'd qualified for Medicaid, we could refer her to Plastic Surgery for breast reduction and she agreed. It was a nice, friendly visit - full of information about her gay lifestyle though she'd had a child with a different-race man 7 years prior. It is lovely to have pleasant patients, and never is that borne out more than when we have unpleasant ones.

So there was rabid reconnection this week - Deepali took me to her in-laws' place on Monday for a fantastic Indian meal. It was great to see everyone, and as tho' the food and great company were not enough, I was loaded w/ gifts on departure, including lovely clothes from D's closet. Dr. Vick Williams, a former anatomy prof in San Antonio, sent me a lovely note which I have saved - according me the huge compliment of saying the work people like myself do gives purpose to his teaching at the school. Dr. Williams is very quiet, but when he says something, boy, it carries. On Wednesday, Jon Marsh's parents took me out for dinner; Jon was supposed to join us, but the cable crew at his new house hit snags and we ended up taking him some carry-out after we ate. The evening was wonderful, chatting w/ good people always lifts my spirits. I tried to connect w/ Jeremy Kirk, an irreverent and neat new graduate of St. V's residency and our schedules didn't match, but we'll be in touch. The doctors Johnson (former professors) sent me a huge package of Spurs stuffola - post-championship glitter - and I loved every bit. So will my sons. (Those who think I'm gloating are entitled to their opinion; the Weiss men and I are absolutely delighted our beloved team won and were similarly happy last year when the Pistons creamed the Lakers.) Linda Johnson and I also managed to speak on the phone and it was so lovely to have a mentor and friend in close touch. Speaking of which, Dr. Robert Love and I got to chat a bit as well, and that always affirms my purpose; he is not a man of frilly words, but is genuine and extremely encouraging. Citizens had a soul food and international cuisine potluck on Thursday, which was absolutely fabulous; it was great to sit and eat good home-made food w/ folks I like. It was replete w/ a speech by the CEO and an interminable speech by me, which everyone endured.

I got to exchange emails w/ Maya Srinivasan, a classmate also from 10 yo days, who has most kindly set up a blog for me which I anticipate attacking in Chennai. She also offered to send tutoring goodies, most considerately easing the logistics by sending them through her husband to India. Thursday night, Colleen had a get-together which was attended by Deepali and her husband, Devindra; Sonja Inger and Cindy Smith - lovely summery food, nice, warm ambience, great people around. I managed to speak to David Gere who is a great friend, almost sibling-like, and we chatted about his work and mine. (He was in India last year on a Fulbright fellowship w/ his project "Make Art, Stop Aids.") The talk was full of wonderful advice and good-natured ribbing which is a D. Gere characteristic ("Oh, are Indians opinionated?" he asked in response to a comment I made, knowing full well whom he was speaking to). On departure from Citizens, Dr. Ruth Stevens, the CEO, and I had a great chat - I have enjoyed her presence and grounded perspective immensely. Yesterday, I took the Tabers out for dinner, to thank them for 3-1/2 months of harbor and great company; it was a nice time and Mark Taber's powerful intellect, tremendous consideration for his guests and gentle sense of humor come flying to the fore in a small crowd. I had a whale of a time and then Colleen and I got to walk; walking in verdant surroundings has been one of the highlights of my stay here.

So there you have it - riches galore in my life. I am looking forward to returning to the 3 Weiss men, also precious to me. I haven't seen Scott in 4 months and am ready for his robust sense of humor and his unique perspective on life and wife. Pls stay in touch and drop me an email now and then.

Love to all -

Renu

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home