Renu's Week

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Report of 23 Oct '05

Hello -

The week has been exhausting. Hope yours was better.

I have a new niece! That is the uplifting part of the 7 days. My younger brother, Vinu, and his wife, Tina, had their first child on 17 Oct. It was an auspicious day for Coorgs, that being the day the river Kavery bubbles up from her source. Kavery is worshipped as a goddess in agricultural Coorg. And along came our little bundle, whom we are inclined to worship also. She is very cute, feisty, and we are looking forward to watching her grow. Vinu msg'd me on my cell phone when Tina's labor pains started, and asked me to go to the hospital if I could, and I was honored. He had told all other medical relatives to stay away and I didn't think I'd be needed, either.

We have a resident visiting from the U.S. Jesse Spear is training at the same hospital that I did in Indianapolis. It was nice to gab about medical issues and familiar folks w/ him. Jesse is gamely trying to cope w/ the culture shock and we are trying to help that process - time will tell if we have succeeded.

The Banyan is great, as always. The folks there embraced Jesse and welcomed him. An older patient, Ms. A, who has been operated on for cataract is recovering nicely. She had a psychiatric relapse and got a bit delusional; our able psychiatrist tended to that immediately. She mentioned being teased by another patient, and I told her I was sorry to hear that, that I looked forward to her smile (it really lights up her face and crinkles her eyes) every time I entered the B and that it made my day; at this, she grabbed my hand and held it to her cheek. It was so lovely. The intangible rewards of working at the B are more than enough for me.

I am attending the Aids conference and many parts of it are illuminating. Thanks to Rabia Mathai for paying my way, and thanks to Dorothy Williams for putting me in touch w/ her.

Tutoring continues. I was shocked to hear that one of the students does not want to come any more b'cos one of the tutors made fun of her. We are going to have a talk soon and remind the tutors of the need to preserve human dignity, regardless of age and economic status.

The basketball team continued to play better, though Abacus has not won a game in 4 years. Jesse has helped coach, and I totally enjoyed the experience of coaching. The boys have generally listened to us, and that appears to have been unusual.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince

Unw -

Renu

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home