Renu's Week

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Report of 19 Mar 2006

Hi from sunny Chennai -

Worn-out, that's what I am. We had PTA meetings on Thu and Friday, and neither son got very good reports. We had burgers at the beach after it, and Naren thought the reports must have been good to warrant the celebration, but we had much to discuss and thought the serene setting of the beach would help matters. Naren can apparently correctly answer 90% of the questions orally asked in class, but cannot translate that into similar test performance. My aunt told him to practice written answers w/o looking at the book. Let's see; all suggestions are welcome. Navin ostensibly tries to get by on his intellect and charm. Charm?! Some of us are immune to it. This is an academically rigorous country, and the boys are reeling; they remark often that the U.S. was soooo much easier, but Scott feels they are indeed up to the challenge here. I agree.

The B is fine. One of our non-verbal patients, Ms. A, suddenly started favoring her left hand and it was astutely picked up by staff. As I examined her, I noticed she did clearly do so, and I sent her for an xray. Lo and behold, a fracture of the right upper arm bone (the humerus). Her arm is now in a sling and she is getting by. The staff have their act together here. My assistant, Ms. J, even pulled out an IUD (Intra-uterine device, a contraceptive) the other day, which I do not know how to do.

The staff at the B also line up for care and the housekeeping supervisor came to me w/ belly pain in her upper right (the "right upper quadrant"). As I thought gallbladder (gb), esp as she is a portly sort, she said clearly that the pain comes on after she eats foods like meats and not after veges. Really, the diagnosis was playing out, as the gb acts this way after fatty foods. I did have to send her for an ultrasound and await the result.

Scott's boss had consulted me over email for his 15-yo nephew in Mysore. The child had had persistent fever and a low white blood cell count. I spoke to the doctor in charge in Mysore, and he mentioned doing a bone marrow biopsy. The result confirmed cancer, the child was sent to the cancer hospital and was responding very well to chemo. However, he developed an infection and died last week. I was saddened to get the news. Scott's boss then thanked me for the support, and I don't think I did very much, but perhaps having another physician speaking on the family's behalf and explaining things to them counted for something. Such things always astound me.

Someone else looked after tutoring for me as we had all kinds of fun at the PTA and we will return there this week.

We saw my brilliant aunt and my equally brilliant sister last night and that was fun. My sister, Anu, heads to an all-exps paid conference in South Africa on injury prevention. I've often thought this'd be great: to get invited to a conference on one's area of interest. We celebrated Holi, a North Indian harvest festival, by spraying color on each other and having a whale of a time. The color is supposed to wash off, but is far from doing so.

"Holidays are an expensive trial of strength. The only satisfaction comes from survival." - Jonathan Miller

Unw -

Renu

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home