Renu's Week

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Report of 5 Feb 2006

Hi -

It's about 80 degrees outside, the fan is on low, Scott is asleep on the couch and I am freezing. Feels like dengue, which is a memorable illness to have: high fever, thumping headaches and some hallucinations, which were actually pretty cool during my first episode. I'll just have to ride this one out, there's no treatment for dengue. We go to the Banyan's fundraiser tonight, and probably won't stay for the whole thing, glittery tho' it may be.

The week was very busy, which is always good. The Banyan continues to be a good place to work. One of our patients, Ms. V, is recovering from a fractured left leg. I want her to get crutches and be more mobile as I fear deconditioning will set in if she stays in bed. The period of rest is over and the ortho has said she can walk around; having had a fractured foot once, I know that getting back to normal gait will take time, but I want V to walk. She was also found on the streets, and told the Banyan rescue team that her husband had an affair w/ some woman who did black magic and gave V epilepsy. She stated that if she leaves the B, she will live on the streets as no relative will take care of her. I was struck by this story, and her insight. As I watched V drink her tea one day after breakfast, I felt enormous gratitude to Vandana and Vaishnavi for giving folks like V a place to live; V saw me watching her and offered me her tea w/ a classic Indian head motion and the utmost grace. I was very touched - such gestures make my day - and declined. V likes music, which plays in the sick room constantly; the TV has Tamil film hits and dances showing. One day, I saw V bopping to the music in absolutely perfect, magnificent rhythm and was enthralled. How we underestimate the power of music and dance in healing.

The veg market also had its share of successes. The young man who sells ladies finger (okra) had wanted an appetite stimulant and I had recommended one. When I went there last week, I saw that he appeared to have put on a little weight and looked quite fresh and good. I complimented him, and was pleased. I always think that what I do is nothing out of the ordinary, and am pleasantly surprised when my patients get good results. Yesterday, we had to go to the veg market in a hurry and I sent the 3 Weiss men: going there is like hospital rounds, which I enjoy when I have the time for it. Y'day, tho', I had something else to do, and so the men went, again returning loaded w/ especially good, fresh, tasty veges - which the vendors appear to reserve for my family, and which always, always warms me.

Tutoring the impoverished kids continues to go swimmingly, and we have about 8-10 kids coming. We were understaffed last week, and Naren and I had to double up, taking 2 students each. We have a 1st-grader who does not know her English alphabet, her tutor struggled w/ her and one of my students finished her English lesson, so had time on her hands; I asked her to pls teach this child her alphabet. She did, and managed to make much more headway than any of us. I tell you, sometimes you have to use whatever resources you have: tutors, students, grandmas, anyone. My student has a photographic memory and memorised her English poem in no time, not understanding a word. I feel for these kids, and wish they could continue being taught in the local language forever, but the powers-that-be have determined that that's not a good idea. And they're probably right: it'd limit these kids geographically.

The 3 Weiss men and I saw a Tamil movie yesterday and had our weekly game night. The kids are allowed to eat junk and we play a board game (not computer or Nintendo as a neighbor thought); we find this a pretty bonding experience and are glad the kids still play w/ us. We played Taboo, which is hilarious esp w/ Naren and Navin cutting up. The kids will sometimes tell us school events during this time, like Navin's friend writing a love letter to a girl, and Naren's friend getting dependent on the Internet for entertainment. A young woman in Naren's class calls daily, sometimes 2 or 3 times, and we unfailingly heckle in the background: methinks love is blossoming.

"Fame is a four-letter word. And like tape, or zoom, or face, or pain, or love, or life, what ultimately matters is what we do with it." - Fred Rogers

Unw -

Renu

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home