Renu's Week

Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Report of 5 Feb '13

Good evening!

Man, I am tired.  I slept well enough last night, but the night before was Moz (mosquito) - fest here. 

There was a session at Kovalam today on resilience, conducted by a noted psychiatrist from the U.S.  I went, because one can always learn something from such sessions.  In an actual patient interaction, where the alcoholic patient professed inability to hold a job as his hands shook and he felt faint, all my sympathies were with his wife; the psychiatrist helped us see that there was some worth in the patient as well, and that was immense. 

Vandana had not been well, and I checked on her.  It was a nice visit, with 2 visionary folks - Vandana and her entrepreneur husband.  Scott and I had a good time.  I got profuse thanks from Vandana after that, and told her I was simply doing my job. 

Adaikalam has been good.  Our patient, Ms. E, has left and I hope she is okay.  She ostensibly had a crush on one of the married drivers, and that was posing all manner of problems.  Our dedicated volunteer, Fanny, has tried to search for Ms. E, unsuccessfully.  Ms. E spent formative years in the sex trade and had recently taken to dressing in low-necked outfits after her romantic attachment began.  I felt bad for her, that she had to resort to seductive dressing to attract a man; many of us tried to correct Ms. E's style of dress and some actually succeeded.  I do hope Ms. E is well.

Last week at Kovalam, a mentally challenged young woman came with her mother.  I tended to the physical complaints of both and then spoke with the mother.  She said she had married young and that her other daughter (the younger) was not mentally challenged; I then asked if she (the mother) had married a relative.  When she said yes, I asked that she please, please not get her child married to a relative.  I crusade against consanguineous marriage.  The older daughter was delightful, and interacted well; I told the mother to get her evaluated by an organisation here that deals with special needs folks, to see if she could be trained for a trade.  She agreed, and we looked at each other in perfect understanding - mother to mother, concerned caregiver to concerned caregiver.  It was nice.

Naren went to Coorg for an outdoor music festival (a la Woodstock) and practised his Coorgi with me before that, doing quite nicely.  Scott and I ate at one of our favorite restaurants, using a very generous gift certificate that the med students gave me last year.  That was very nice of the young ladies, and we had a good meal.  We then saw a Tamil movie called "David."  It was excellent.  Sunday was spent lazing, and Skyping with Navin; that was fun, his engineer humor came to the fore often. 

Unw -

R  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home